Former Penn basketball player charged with four additional burglaries

Anthony Bagtas now faces a total of 14 burglary charges

31598_dsc_5594f

After leaving Penn, in part because of criminal charges against him, former Penn student and varsity basketball player Anthony Bagtas faces four more charges of burglary that were reported in the Quad last year.

The charges were brought against Bagtas on June 9, 2014, according to court documents. He now faces a total of 14 burglary charges related to the theft of laptops, cash and other items.

Back in April, Bagtas was charged for eight of the burglaries that occurred in March of this year, one from September of last year and one from January of this year — all reported in Quad residence halls. The felony burglary charges accompany several misdemeanors, including multiple counts of theft, receiving stolen property and criminal trespassing charges, according to court documents.

The Division of Public Safety confirmed that these new charges are for the burglaries that occurred over Thanksgiving break in 2013. Three of the burglaries occurred in Riepe College House and the fourth in Ware College House between November 25 and December 1, as The Daily Pennsylvanian reported back in December.

Bagtas' attorney, Brian Fishman, noted that the nature of the new charges are similar to the previous charges against his client. "It doesn't seem to change the posture of the case," he said over the phone.

Bagtas was charged by an Indicting Grand Jury as opposed to at a preliminary hearing, meaning that some form of witness intimidation was involved or was suspected to be likely to happen in the proceedings against him. A spokesperson for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office said that Bagtas is not currently charged with witness intimidation, but noted that doesn’t mean he won’t be charged in the future.

According to court documents, Bagtas is in custody at a correctional facility. His formal arraignment is scheduled for August 4, 2014, at which time his charges will be read against him and he will have the opportunity to enter a plea.

Discussion