rob_eiter

After six seasons as the head coach of Penn wrestling, Rob Eiter has decided to resign.

Eiter, who came to Penn as an assistant in 2006, chose to pursue other opportunities, according to a press release sent out Wednesday afternoon.

“We are sorry to see Rob leave,” Athletic Director Steve Bilsky said in a press release. “Our wrestling program has a proud history, and Rob has done his part to add to that legacy over the last six years. We wish him well with his future endeavors.”

In Eiter’s six seasons, Penn wrestling produced four All-Americans, including junior Lorenzo Thomas this past season. Eiter was also the top scheduler, putting the Quakers up against top competition each year to prepare for EIWA and NCAA Championships.

“At the conclusion of the season, I had a chance to step back from the daily grind a bit and evaluate myself, and I realized that the energy needed to serve as head coach at a program like Penn wasn’t there,” Eiter said.

“I am thankful to Mr. Bilsky, Alanna Shanahan, and everyone at Pennfor six great years as head coach and eight years overall as a member of the Penn Athletics family. I am excited to be able to spend some time with my family and re-energize myself.”

Prior to coming to Penn, Eiter had worked as an assistant at Clarion University of Pennsylvania as well as Northwestern, where he served as recruiting coordinator. Eiter also has coached the United States women’s team in international competition.

Eiter himself represented the United States in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

According to the press release, Penn will now begin a national search for his successor. n