04012014_dpssharetheroadconference22
DPS Share the Road Press Conference outside Penn Bookstore Credit: Andres De los Rios , Andres De los Rios, Andres De los Rios, Andres De los Rios, Andres De los Rios

The Division of Public Safety kicked off its annual “Share the Road” bicycle safety campaign with an event at the Penn Bookstore yesterday.

The campaign is designed to educate members of the Penn community about local laws, traffic violations and best practices pertaining to cyclists riding on Philadelphia streets.

Numerous on- and off-campus groups joined Penn Police in hosting the event, including PennCycle, the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia, AlliedBarton and the Drexel University Police. Representatives from these groups were on hand to give information about bike safety to pedestrians, motorists and cyclists.

“The annual Share the Road campaign is one of the ways we try to engage with members of the community about pedestrian, drive and bike safety — both on- and off-campus,” Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said. “We stress the importance of sharing the safety responsibilities of all partners on the road and encourage all of the community to be smart when traveling our streets.”

In addition to a press conference, Penn Police officers assisted people in registering their bicycles through Campus Express, demonstrated how to properly secure a bike and raffled off prizes.