The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine is launching a new program all about man’s best friend.

Last Wednesday, Penn Vet announced that it would be adding a new residency program in reproductive medicine for cats, dogs and other companion animals. It will support one resident for two years in the program under the tutelage of Margret Casal , professor of medical genetics.

“I am so proud that Penn Vet is a recipient of this important residency program,” Gilbert S. Kahn Dean of Veterinary Medicine Joan Hendricks said in a press release. “It is critically important for us to train the next generation of veterinarians in both the clinical aspects of reproduction and the fundamentals of basic science so that we can translate improvements into advances for the real world.”

The residency program specializes in training students in all areas of reproductive care for companion animals. This includes specialized training in reproductive medicine and surgery, obstetrics and neonatology.

The program at Penn is being funded by a $100,000 contribution from the American Kennel Club and The Theriology Foundation. Penn Vet is one of only three other universities nationwide to receive funding from these organization for this program. The other recipient universities are Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine and the University of California Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

“We are thrilled to establish this program, which we hope will bear a greater understanding of and respect for the purpose-bred dog,” AKC chairman Alan Kalter said in the Penn Vet press release.