10202013_footballvcolumbiacarolyn950
Penn football defeats Columbia 21-7 Credit: Carolyn Lim , Carolyn Lim

While coach Al Bagnoli will be taking the headlines on Wednesday, his retirement isn’t the only news coming out of Penn football.

The Quakers announced earlier this week that Dan Swanstrom, formerly the offensive coordinator at Johns Hopkins, will take over for Larry Woods as quarterbacks coach. Penn also announced its four captains — all seniors — for next season: wide receiver Conner Scott, tight end Mitchell King, linebacker Dan Davis and safety Evan Jackson.

In a press release, Bagnoli was happy with the hiring of Swanstrom, but saddened by Woods’ departure.

“Dan adds new insight, energy and expertise to our staff and we are really excited to have him,” Bagnoli said. “It is bittersweet, personally. We’ll miss Larry and all the things he has done and achieved here, but we benefit from adding another very accomplished, energetic coach who is a great fit for our program.”

Swanstrom will be dealing with a whole new set of quarterbacks in 2014, as last year’s pair of starters — Billy Ragone and Ryan Becker — graduated. Freshmen Adam Strauss and Alek Torgersen have the most experience on the field, while junior Patton Chillura figures to also get some time behind center.

While Swanstrom will have an inexperienced group at QB, the team will have strong leadership with its four captains.

“This is a great balance of personalities and four good selections by our players,” coach Al Bagnoli said in a press release. “This is the ideal mixture of vocal leaders and those who lead by example. They all have the intangibles. They work hard, do things the right way and command respect.”

Scott and Jackson are both returning for their fifth seasons with Penn football, each having won two Ivy League titles. Scott recorded his 100th career reception in last year’s finale against Cornell, while Jackson was named second-team All-Ivy for his efforts in 2013.

Davis has played in all 20 games over the last two years, performing well enough to receive first-team All-Ivy honors in both 2012 and 2013. He led the team in tackles last year as well as tackles for a loss.

King has less on-field experience than some of his teammates but has reeled in two touchdowns over the last two years while playing a solid role at tight end for the Red and Blue.

The four seniors will lead the Quakers next year as they pursue an Ivy-record 17th conference title as well as the school’s second Ivy title in three years. Penn opens its season on the road against Jacksonville on Sept. 20, a week before the team plays Villanova at Franklin Field in its home opener.