sandwichshop2

Renderings show what the new Jake's Sandwich Board location will look like.

Award-winning slow-roasted sandwiches are coming to University City.

Jake’s Sandwich Board announced yesterday that they will join the development at 40th and Sansom streets, which is opening in Fall 2014. Philadelphia Business Journal crowned Jake’s cheesesteak the best in Philadelphia in 2013.

“We thought being on Penn’s campus or as close as we could get to it would be ideal,” co-owner Gary Dorfman said. “We thought it was like a no brainer.”

Jake’s allows customers to build their own pork, brisket and steak sandwiches. Customers can “roll it” on bread, or “bowl it” — eating the meat “naked” in a bowl, on top of greens, or on a “haystack” of fries. Sandwich favorites include the Village Turkey, a sandwich made with roasted turkey, bacon, arugula and black cherry spread, along with The Mensch, a brisket sandwich with horseradish sauce, fried onions and melted provolone.

“We’ve been taking a simple approach by finding great bread that we’ve been using, house roasting meats and finding great toppings,” Dorfman added.

The 50/50 sandwich, made up of half pork and half bacon with sriracha and provolone, was included on BuzzFeed’s list of 11 Wonderful Sandwiches in Philadelphia. Foxnews.com also named Jake’s Garlic Bomb steak sandwich one of the best new sandwiches of 2012.

Besides sandwiches, Jake’s will serve french fries and a range of milkshakes.

Jake’s will be open Sunday through Wednesday from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. and Thursday through Saturday from 11 a.m. until 3 a.m. The restaurant will also deliver lunch and dinner, including to dorms.

The eatery will join Whirled Peace Frozen Yogurt, Dunkin’ Donuts and Zesto Pizza in the 40th and Sansom development. It will be Jake’s second location, with the original located at 12th and Sansom streets.

“We’re excited to come out there and are looking forward to meeting a lot of new people once we open the doors,” Dorfman said.