Penn women's basketball takes down Brown, 70-54

The Quakers are now 8-2 in Ivy play after Kara Bonenberger put up 22 points

· February 28, 2014, 9:07 pm   ·  Updated February 28, 2014, 9:11 pm

Share This

Going up to Brown, Penn women’s basketball got back to business.

Easily rebounding from Saturday’s loss to Dartmouth, the Red and Blue overcame a slow start thanks to the post play of junior forward Kara Bonenberger, beating the Bears, 70-54.

Penn (18-6, 8-2 Ivy) began the game up, 9-2, thanks to an early three-pointer by junior guard Kathleen Roche and a couple baskets by Bonenberger, but Brown (8-17, 2-9) began to display its elite shooting ability, draining six triples in the first half.

However, thanks to a 14-point, seven-rebound effort from Bonenberger as well as six points and eight rebounds from freshman center Sydney Stipanovich, Penn’s frontcourt overcame Brown’s elite shooting and took a 36-26 lead into halftime. Stipanovich's eight rebounds matched Brown's total for the half, as Penn held the rebounding edge, 22-8.

And after Dartmouth had frustrated Penn's forwards, Penn used solid spacing and overcame Brown's early pressure on the defensive end to end up ahead.

The Quakers’ passing highlighted the first 20 minutes, with senior captains Meghan McCullough and Alyssa Baron combining for 11 assists, helping Penn shoot 48 percent from the field.

After the break, the Red and Blue came out firing, opening their lead to 18 points behind their forwards, as Stipanovich found her way to a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds for the game.

The Quakers didn’t make a three-pointer in second half, going 0-for-7, but they made up for it at the free-throw line by shooting 16-for-18 to finish off any Brown attempt for a comeback.

Freshman forward Stephanie Cheney, who had eight points, five boards and three assists for the game, played solid minutes in place of junior forward Katy Allen, who was out with a foot injury.

Meanwhile, Bonenberger scored a game-high 22 points on 9-for-13 shooting while McCullough added eight assists in 38 minutes of court time.

Penn now travels to New Haven, Conn. to face a strong Yale squad that the Quakers defeated, 62-50, two weeks ago at the Palestra.