22614_football_schedule_onlinefinal

2014 Penn football schedule

Credit: Jenny Lu

While Florida is the destination for many with spring break on the horizon, Penn football is going to the Sunshine State a little later than most.

The Quakers released their schedule for the 2014 season, and the team’s season opener is a road game at Jacksonville on Sept. 20, one of six road games the Red and Blue will play in their 10-game slate.

It will be the first ever trip to Florida for Penn, and its first trip outside of the northeast since 2004 when they beat San Diego, 61-18.

Local rival Villanova remains on the Quakers’ nonconference schedule again this year, coming to Franklin Field for Penn’s home opener on Sept. 27. The Red and Blue begin Ivy play a week later, facing Dartmouth up in Hanover, N.H.

The Quakers then conclude their nonconference slate against Fordham, a squad that won 12 games in 2013 while besting two Ivy opponents (Columbia and Yale) by a combined score of 104-38.

Penn then plays the rest of its season against Ivy opponents, taking on Columbia at home on Oct. 18 and Yale in New Haven on Oct. 25.

This year’s homecoming game will come against Brown, the team that beat Penn, 27-0, last season to begin the Quakers’ four-game losing streak to end the season.

Penn follows that up with a trip to Princeton to face the Tigers before returning home for its final game at Franklin Field against Harvard.

The season concludes up in Ithaca, N.Y., as the Red and Blue play Cornell on Nov. 22.

Penn’s annual Spring Game is on April 5 this year. The Quakers will have to address multiple holes in their roster, as graduating seniors leave Penn with question marks at quarterback, offensive line and defensive back.

With the Spring Game, Penn has the chance to address those gaps, and players like freshman quarterback Alek Torgersen and sophomore cornerback Kenny Thomas will get a chance to continue proving themselves after making a big impact late in the 2013 season.

From South Korea to Franklin Field: The David Park story

No place to call home

Al Bagnoli: a Penn football legacy defined

As iron sharpens iron