Normal University operations are suspended due to inclement weather conditions, according to a UPennAlert sent out this morning.

The UPennAlert, which was issued at 6:10 a.m., said that only essential personnel are required to report for work. This includes, but is not limited to, Division of Public Safety personnel, Facilities Services employees and Business Services employees.

This means that all schools and centers will be closed today, DPS said in a statement. Additionally, Pottruck Gym will only be open until 4 p.m. While the Penn Bookstore will also remain open, Computer Connection and the PennCard Center will be closed.

The decision to cancel nonessential University operations was made early this morning after Penn administrators assessed local road closures, total snow accumulation, the severe drop in temperature and the expected high speed wind gusts for the day.

“Fortunately,” DPS’ statement noted, “as students are still on Winter Break and this is a short work week for staff due to the New Year’s Holiday, we saw this as the best decision to keep people safe and inside today.”

DPS is also advising students and staff on campus to use walking and riding escorts.