Back in the fall, Penn basketball was ranked second in the Ivy League Preseason Media Poll, two spots ahead of Princeton.

And ignoring the inglorious results of the last two months, this means that the Quakers are undoubtedly better than their Garden State counterparts.

Sure, you could point out that Penn has only two wins while Princeton has only two losses.

And yes, you could say that Princeton has superior three-point shooting, rebounding, overall defense and late-game competency. In other words, a better team.

And while Lee’s Hoagie House, a staple of Penn’s campus, closed down over the summer, the great Hoagie Haven reigns supreme in New Jersey (Can the Princetonian please send over a Phat Lady? Thanks).

But, as Amy Gutmann stated in August, Penn clearly has a better football program.

…wait, the Red and Blue lost? To Princeton? ON HOMECOMING?

So while Billy Ragone has Caraun Reid and Anthony Gaffney highlight reels in his nightmares, the Daily Pennsylvanian is beginning to realize that Princeton may no longer be the Hobbes to Penn’s Calvin and the Tigers may indeed be for real.

But hey, Ivy League play hasn’t started yet, so the Quakers are where they belong: first place.

And before you start thinking that the Princeton is going to steamroll Penn and take over the Palestra on Saturday, the Quakers aren’t about to give away a win – even though Penn Athletics is giving away tickets for free.

While the Tigers were overcoming meningitis and winning streaks, Penn was getting some hard earned experience. So if the idea that you learn more about yourself from a loss than a win holds true, then maybe the Quakers will have some things figured out in order to pad that 18-game lead in the rivalry’s history. (123-105 ring a bell?)

So bask in your football title and recent basketball superiority all you want. The Red and Blue are coming to play.

STEVEN TYDINGS, IAN WENIK and RILEY STEELE are the sports editors of the Daily Pennsylvanian. They can be reached at dpsports@thedp.com.

TRASH TALK 2014

The Daily Princetonian | Penn is not mightier than…

Let the Ivy season begin: Penn basketball renews rivalry with Princeton