Penn women's squash looking to tame Tigers twice in the same week

Quakers will aim to follow up the men’s team’s upset win with a triumph of their own

02042012_menandwomenssqua_copy

*Senior co-captain Chloe Blacker *has been a consistently strong presence at the bottom of Penn women’s squash’s ladder, going undefeated in four contests at the No. 9 position this year.

Photo by Mirela Zaneva

On Monday, Penn men’s squash beat Princeton, 7-2, in a massive upset.

Now, the women’s team will look to hold serve against the same opponent.

Wednesday, the No. 3 Quakers (5-2, 1-1 Ivy) will take on the No. 4 Tigers (5-1, 1-1) at the Ringe Squash Courts in a crucial battle for Ivy positioning.

At first glance, history would appear to favor the Red and Blue, who have won three of the past four regular season meetings between the two schools.

But just last year, Princeton dealt Penn a devastating 9-0 loss, in what could be seen as the beginning of a new era in the rivalry.

The Tigers have been nearly unstoppable so far, having lost only six individual matches on the season, all of which occurred in a loss to No.1 Harvard.

But the Red and Blue have displayed similar dominance of weaker opponents as well. The Quakers have dropped only one individual match over the course of their five victories.

The match could very well be decided by a pair of outstanding freshmen.

This year’s Tigers squad has been paced by wunderkind Maria Elena Ulbina. The top U-19 player in the country, Ulbina has only lost one match all season at the top of the ladder.

The Quakers will likely counter with fellow frosh Anaka Alankamony. The newcomer has quickly ascended the Red and Blue’s ladder and has split her four matches at No. 1.

If Alankamony’s effort isn’t enough, the responsibility for delivering another loss to the hated Tigers will fall squarely on the shoulders of Penn’s veteran leadership.

Senior co-captains Courtney Jones and Chloe Blacker have combined to post a 10-1 record on the season, with Jones nailing down the No. 3 spot in the lineup and Blacker solidifying the bottom of the lineup at No. 9.

And if they have anything to say about it, they’ll make sure that the Tigers leave Penn’s campus with their heads hung low for the fourth consecutive time.

Penn men’s squash end 40-year drought vs. Princeton

Penn squash squads return to winning ways vs. Drexel

Trinity downs Penn squash

Penn men’s squash heads to Navy for a battle of unbeaten squads

Discussion