rob_belcore_2

Former Penn basketball guard Rob Belcore logged 24 minutes at Duke on New Year’s Day 2012 in an 85-55 loss to the Blue Devils.

Credit: Ellen Frierson

The latest installment of our “Remembering Penn basketball” series features former DP sports editor Alyssa Kress (C ’13).

I was lucky enough to spend part of winter break junior year in Durham to cover the Quakers’ beatdown at the hands of the Blue Devils. As the players were packing up at the end of a New Year’s Eve practice, I ventured onto Coach K Court at Cameron and took a free throw. Well, missed a free throw — pretty badly, in fact, and in front of the watching eyes of the entire Penn basketball team.

I laughed it off and made an easier layup, so I crossed “make a basket at Cameron” off the bucket list. As I walked out of the stadium with some of the players, it became clear that the team bus either never came or had already left. I had my family’s minivan with me, and even though the Penn hotel was only a few minutes away, suddenly I had Quakers piling into my car.

I don’t remember everyone who was in the car — though Rob Belcore of course called shotgun — but I will never forget the absurdity of that two-minute drive to the hotel. It was much more entertaining than the 30-point loss the following day.

Penn basketball falls to Duke to begin New Year

Remembering Penn basketball | former DP editor Mike Wisniewski

Remembering Penn basketball: former DP editor David Burrick

Remembering Penn basketball: former DP sportswriter Andrew Todres