Former lecturer found guilty of open lewdness

The former anthropology lecturer was sentenced to a maximum of 12 months probation

A former Penn lecturer charged with open lewdness in Houston Hall was found guilty of that charge and others earlier today.

Former anthropology lecturer Adam Bund was found guilty of two counts of open lewdness and two counts of harassment in court today for charges that were alleged to have taken place in Houston Hall, according to court dockets. Bund was also found not guilty of one count of indecent exposure.

Open lewdness, as defined by Pennsylvania law, is a third-degree misdemeanor which occurs when a person “does any lewd act which he knows is likely to be observed by others who would be affronted or alarmed.” Harassment is a summary offense if a person “strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same.”

Indecent exposure is a second-degree misdemeanor that is defined as when a person exposes his or her genitals in any public place or in any place where others are present.

Bund was sentenced to a maximum of one year of probation for each of the two counts of open lewdness and received no further sentence for the counts of harassment, according to court dockets.

Neither Bund’s attorney nor the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office could immediately be reached for comment as of Thursday afternoon.

Bund was arrested on May 23 for the two separate offenses. One was alleged to have occurred in February; the other allegedly took place in late April.

Discussion