mgc_qa

Wharton junior Peixin Mo was chosen as the newest Multicultural Greek Council president last week.

Mo was the vice president of the MGC in her sophomore year and gave up the position to go abroad. Her program was cancelled due to safety issues in the Middle East. She is a member of the Wharton Undergraduate Consulting Club and Penn Yalla belly dancing troupe.

Related: Multicultural Greek Council shows off their steps at Penn Relays

The Daily Pennsylvanian sat down with Mo this weekend to learn more about her plans for the council in her upcoming term.

The Daily Pennsylvanian: What are your goals for your upcoming term?

Peixin Mo: We have a vision that crosses internal and external boundaries. Within, we want to strengthen the foundation that the last board built. They started a lot of new initiatives such as the unity system and a neophyte retreat.

This year, instead of starting a lot of new initiatives, we want to strengthen what we have by integrating all the members of the MGC and making sure everyone’s voice is heard to make these visions stronger.

Externally, we want to further increase our presence in the Penn community. We have a marketing campaign to make sure the MGC is recognized around Penn and is a role model outside of Penn to other university MGCs as well.

DP: What got you interested in the position as MGC president?

PM: When I was vice president, I really liked the fact that there was so much we could do with MGC because we’re starting off as a diverse organization. There’re so many paths we could take.

I have a strong vision for the MGC, and I really want to implement that. We also have a new director, Kenneth Jones, who also has a really strong vision, and I’m excited to work with him.

In the past two years, we’ve had a lot of instability. Since Larry Moses passed, we’ve had temporary leaders who left. But now that we have Kenny, it’s going to be a lot more stable and we have a long term vision.

DP: Are you familiar with your other council members?

PM: We have a very strong board. I know less than half of them, but the great thing about our board is that it spans across all different organizations. There are different councils within the MGC, and we have a very solid representation from every council. I think everyone on the board is very eager to have their voice heard and make a huge difference.

DP: Anything in particular that you’re excited about?

PM: I’m really excited for the opportunity to interact with the other groups in the MGC. I’m excited because our board is so integrated and I want continue to break those barriers and interact with the other members.

Related: Multicultural Greek Council brings together citywide chapters