9639385995_d8b7cdbfe1_b

The Neighbourhood, a California-based band, will perform on Nov. 15.

Credit: Tim Tai/Flickr Creative Commons

The Neighbourhood will headline the Social Planning and Events Committee’s Fall Concert, SPEC announced Monday.

The California-based band, sometimes abbreviated as THE NBHD, falls under the alternative rock genre and has been “blowing up the alternative charts for … Billboard,” according to SPEC Concerts co-director and College senior Ben Yang.

The band’s single, “Sweater Weather,” reached number one on Billboard’s alternative chart and broke the top 60 on the Hot 100 list over the summer.

Yang said that his committee tried to “gauge interest in all genres” and that The Neighbourhood was their “priority pick” for the Fall Concert, citing a recent review in 34th Street Magazine as an additional reason for their decision.

Related: SPEC Concerts to host Mayer Hawthorne

Indie-pop band Little Daylight is scheduled to open for The Neighbourhood. The band is known for remixing indie music to dance beats.

Yang said that he thinks the Fall Concert is a good indication of what is to come for the Spring Fling concert. He said that artists have not been selected yet for Fling but that the negotiations so far seem promising.

“We’re always listening [to students],” Yang said. “I think Penn is definitely going to love our selection this coming year.”

The Fall Concert will be held at 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 15 in the Harrison Auditorium of the Penn Museum. Tickets are $10 and will be available starting Oct. 21 on Locust Walk and online.