img_5557

The bicycle of an unaffiliated female hit by a car at 39th and Spruce streets lies in the middle of the road. She is being treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for her injuries.

Credit: Luke Chen , Luke Chen

The Philadelphia Police Department is still searching for the driver involved in a hit-and-run that occurred on campus on Thursday evening.

On Friday, Philadelphia Police released a surveillance video of the hit-and-run, which shows the victim — a 22-year-old woman unaffiliated with the University — biking eastbound on Spruce Street. Between 38th and 39th streets, she fell off her bike and was stuck by a car traveling westward as she tried to stand up. The car did not stop after the accident, which happened around 7:30 p.m.

Watch: Surveillance video of the hit-and-run on Spruce Street

The woman sustained serious head injuries, the video description said, and was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition. While police would not confirm the identity of the victim, ABC affiliate WPVI reported that her name is Monae Mosey.

A HUP spokesperson said that a patient named Monae Mosey was in critical condition on Friday but had since improved to fair condition on Sunday afternoon. WPVI reported that Mosey was riding her bike to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia to visit her sick child.

The car in the video is a dark, four-door sedan with a light-colored plate on the front — either a vanity or an out-of-state license plate. The video’s description says the car may have damage to the left front fender.

Related: Police release video of campus hit-and-run

The Automotive Investigative Unit of the Philadelphia Police are looking into the case. A spokesperson said Sunday afternoon that the incident was still under investigation.

Police are asking for tips on the driver of the car. Anyone with information is asked to call (215) 686-TIPS or text a tip to 773847.

Related: Car hits bicyclist on 3800 block of Spruce Street

The area around 38th and Spruce streets is no stranger to accidents. This crash marks the second this semester — the first, which occurred on Sept. 29, involved three cars and sent one person to the hospital. The hit-and-run marked the seventh accident in the area this calendar year. Last semester’s accidents included six hospitalizations and four student pedestrians struck by cars.

The Philadelphia Streets Department has pledged to install “bumpouts” to make pedestrian crossings safer — but they won’t be complete until the end of the year.

Related: 38th and Spruce car crashes mark problematic intersection

A 2009 campus transportation study listed 38th and Spruce streets as one of Penn’s most problematic intersections. The study — commissioned by the Division of Public Safety and Facilities and Real Estate Services — gave nine recommendations to improve safety and traffic flow at the intersection. However, only one of those recommendations — the pedestrian countdown signals — have been accomplished, Mark Kocent of the Office of the University Architect told the DP in April.