09222012_fieldhockeyvharvardgrace0197web
Field Hockey Penn beats Harvard Credit: Grace Wu , Grace Wu

Penn field hockey needed no overtime heroics to get the win.

Five different Quakers scored as Penn (9-2) beat UMass-Lowell (1-13) on Sunday afternoon, 5-0.

The blowout win was certainly welcome after this month’s succession of close games. Each of Penn’s last four wins was determined by one goal.

This past week, Penn played two away games and won both of them in overtime — the first last Sunday against Dartmouth and the second on Wednesday against Rider — thanks to a pair of clutch goals by junior Emily Corcoran.

Penn coach Colleen Fink noted that the Quakers did not approach this game any differently from how they approached the previous few.

“You have to respect your opponent every day — you can’t underestimate any program or team,” Fink said. “We just wanted to come out and play Penn field hockey.”

Penn certainly managed to play with its signature offensive production, which stands atop the Ivy League in total goals scored and goals per game.

The Quakers outshot UMass-Lowell, 28-5. They
also capitalized on their opponent’s mistakes, taking seven
of the game’s eight penalty corners and converting on two of them.

The first goal came a little over 10 minutes into the game, as freshman Jasmine Cole scored off an assist from Corcoran. Cole now leads the team in goals scored with 13.

Then senior Sunny Stirewalt put away a goal off a corner, assisted by junior MaryRose Croddick. Corcoran topped off the half’s scoring with an unassisted goal at 24:37 to make it 3-0. It was her fourth goal in her torrid last three games.

The Quakers emphasized the importance of remaining focused and consistent even after such a lopsided first half.

“We came out in the second half with somewhat of a new strategy,” Fink said. “And I think that … [helped] keep us focused and keep them in the game.”

Penn made sure to maintain both offensive and defensive pressure going into the second half, and the Quakers never looked back.

Junior goalkeeper Carly Sokach managed to keep UMass-Lowell out of the net for the duration of the game, capturing her third shutout of the season.

Meanwhile, senior Julie Tahan assisted on freshman Elise Tilton’s goal five minutes after halftime to make the game 4-0. Tahan is now
tied with Corcoran for the team lead in assists with six.

Finally, sophomore Elizabeth Hitti added her own corner goal to top off Penn’s 5-0 victory.

The Quakers hope to continue their run of impressive performances when they travel to New York to face Ivy rival Columbia at 6 p.m. on Friday.

“We’re not worried about Columbia in terms of Columbia themselves — we’re more worried about ourselves and what we’re going to bring to
that game,” Fink said.

Given the past few games, the Quakers will certainly be bringing a lot.

Penn field hockey wins another overtime battle

Penn field hockey’s Corcoran completes comeback

Freshmen fueling Penn field hockey’s fast start

Disciplined aggression helps Penn field hockey shut down Harvard