25959_10042012_courbwerafounder0004o
Daphne Koller, a Stanford professor and the founder of Coursera, speaking at College Hall about implementing more effective teaching strategies. Credit: Ceaphas Stubbs , Ceaphas Stubbs

Students on the job hunt this semester can now look into the possibility of working for Coursera.

Coursera, an education company that offers free online courses through partnerships with many different universities including Penn, is currently searching for students who are interested in education and making a social impact to become a member of their team.

The company was last on Penn’s campus in late September for an informal information session for interested seniors. They are specifically looking to hire people for their partnerships team.

Related: Wharton to feature core courses on Coursera

“We wouldn’t exist without our partners,” 2011 College graduate and Coursera Partnership Manager Mark Pan said. “We make sure our partners can do what they want to do … and [that] they have the tools to succeed.”

According to Coursera’s website, partnerships are the “lifeblood” of the mission to increase access to education. To further grow as a company, it is looking to establish even more partnerships.

2010 College and Wharton alumna and Coursera Partnership Manager Clara Ng further emphasized the value of building and maintaining high-quality relationships with partner institutions. “We make sure the strategic direction [of the team] is well aligned with the goals and motivation of each of those partners,” she said.

Related: Coursera debates future of monetization

Coursera is among the leaders in the rapidly expanding field of online education, partnering with more than 85 universities and other institutions like museums worldwide. Since Penn first partnered with the company last year, the University has significantly expanded the number of courses offered online, ranging from MBA core classes to calculus and microeconomics.

In the last year, Coursera has hired three Penn graduates and gotten a Wharton MBA student to suspend his studies to work full-time at the company. According to Ng, Stanford is the most common alma mater among Coursera’s team.

Other opportunities are also available at Coursera, including operations and support specialist and software engineers.

Although each position offers a different experience, the “common thread” between current and potential employees is that “everyone strongly believes in Coursera’s mission,” Ng said.

Related: Penn Coursera course among first to be considered for credit

Coursera is looking for people who have accomplished “insanely impressive things” before working at the company, Pan said. “Past behavior is the best indicator for future success.”

As a quickly growing startup, Coursera can offer interested students a unique learning experience. “Anybody who joins our company at this early stage of our growth will have a disproportionate impact in terms of shaping our future trajectory and direction of our company,” Ng said.

2013 College graduate and video producer for Penn’s School of Design Coursera classes Jonah Stern said, “Working on these online courses is exciting because they help indicate where education is headed … in the near and distant future.”

Ng believes Coursera will continue to grow and positively influence the world of online education. “I think we’re very fortunate to be in a position where the product that we create can reach millions of people,” Ng said. “To be able to see firsthand the positive influence that we can have on students who otherwise may not have access to high quality education is incredibly rewarding.”