09132013_womenssoccervsdrexelcarolyn614
Women's Soccer vs Drexel Credit: Carolyn Lim , Carolyn Lim

Penn women’s soccer maintained its perfect start to the season, but unlike last week’s pair of 4-0 victories, Penn had to battle for two 1-0 victories against local rivals.

On Friday, Penn had to fight for 108 minutes before a Kerry Scalora free kick from just outside the area helped the Quakers defeat Drexel, 1-0. Two days later, Penn (4-0) imposed its will on Saint Joseph’s, and pulled out the victory with a fortunate goal by freshman Tahirih Nesmith.

The two wins continued Penn’s streak of shutout victories, but it almost didn’t happen.

On Friday, after nearly two overtimes, Scalora stood over the ball waiting to take her free kick. Just 20 yards from goal, this was the first clean look she had gotten all day.

“When the bubble was over the field, we practiced that same exact shot,” Scalora said. “I was trying to bend the ball and get it into the upper right 90 corner. So that’s what I wanted to do and I executed. It was awesome.”

Scalora, a senior, did her best Beckham impersonation and her goal kept the Quakers’ perfect start to the season intact as Penn defeated Drexel, 1-0, at Penn Park.

But the win was anything but pretty as the Quakers scraped and fought through two halves and nearly two overtimes before they could pull out a result.

“I think it showed a lot of character,” coach Darren Ambrose said. “This is a time when you show your character, this is a time when you show your strengths. They’re a physical team, and I think it showed a lot of character to find a way to win.

“It could have gone either way. We won pretty last week, we won ugly today. It’s a good sign for this team.”

The pace of play and intensity were in stark contrast to last week’s pair of 4-0 wins. With a harried first half and a wide-open second half, the Quakers found in the Dragons (3-3-1) a good barometer of how they must sometimes play if they hope to win an Ivy title.

“This game was really important because we weren’t really tested in the back last weekend,” senior midfield Claire Walker said. “We knew that Drexel was going to be more organized and have a real counter-attack. We still had a bunch of girls rotating in the back line and there was not a let down.”

Ambrose started a similar squad as last week and continued to rotate the squad throughout the contest. Sophomore Kalijah Terilli started in goal in both games over the weekend, and was aggressive in the first half. Still, Terilli was rarely tested as the Dragons were content to shoot from outside the box.

The Quakers had a handful of good chances in the first 45 minutes, but their first real opportunity came as freshman Lindsey Sawczuk played senior Brianna Rano into the corner. Rano took one step over and played in a dangerous cross, which bounced around in the box but was cleared right back to her before she misfired over the goal.

Penn’s defense held constant throughout regulation and was led by Walker, who shook off a scary knock when she collided with Drexel’s Lauren Stollar and Terilli at the top of the box.

“The first half was all over the place, we just weren’t playing like we usually do,” Walker said. “Good first touches in and out of the middle, out of the back our services weren’t as good as last weekend. [Afterwards] we were really looking to calm down, keep the ball and move it.”

As the game progressed, chances for both teams became more apparent. In the 70th minute, junior forward Megan York ran on to a flicked head, and with a smart pass found Rano at the corner of the 18-yard box. Rano got off a quick shot with her left foot that forced a diving save from Drexel’s keeper.

Penn, which utilized its outside forwards to great success over the course of the game, enjoyed three free kicks with just minutes remaining in the second half but was unable to convert. Drexel came right back down and tried to play through the middle, nearly scoring in the initial moments of overtime.

But Penn would not cede the game. With two minutes remaining in the second overtime, Scalora made no mistake and buried the free kick.

On Sunday, the script was very different as the Quakers controlled play and out-shot the Hawks 14-1, but couldn’t find a way to break through until late in the first half. A failed clearance attempt deflected off of central defender Nesmith and into the net.

But as important as two victories were, the coming together of the defense was just as important.

“The commitment to defense was excellent,” Ambrose said. “They got a quality about them that’s special.”

“Penn women’s soccer comes out on top in thriller”: http://www.thedp.com/r/2da570eb

Women’s soccer explodes to start season off

Beginning of a new era for Penn women’s soccer’s defense

Will Penn women’s soccer’s midfielders fill a Beck-sized hole?