State Treasurer and 1989 Wharton MBA recipient Rob McCord threw himself into the 2014 Pennsylvania Governor’s race on Tuesday, ending months of speculation about a potential run.

For several months, McCord had been exploring the possibility of running for Governor, going so far as to establish a political action committee called “McCord for Governor” and hire several state political campaign veterans.

Related: Penn Law grad to run for Pa. governor in 2014

While McCord has not laid out any specific policy proposals, campaign spokesperson Mark Nevins said that specifics would come in the case of an announcement — which first came early Tuesday morning in an email to supporters.

“I’m running because I believe we need to start investing in Pennsylvania families again,” McCord said in the email. “Somewhere along the line, the current governor stopped doing that and it’s been a terrible mistake.”

Related: Penn connections emerge in 2014 Pa. gov. race

He announced his candidacy in person at Montgomery County Community College later in the morning.

McCord will face off against a deep field of Democrats in the primary, including U.S. Rep. Allyson Schwartz, businessman Tom Wolf, former Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Katie McGinty and Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski.