09072013_sprintfootball_vsalumni1479

Last season, junior running back Mike Beamish scorched defenses on the ground for 745 yards and again showed his rushing dominance Saturday afternoon, posting 92 yards and a touchdown on 16 attempts.

Credit: Christina Prudencio / The Daily Pennsylvanian

On a beautiful Saturday afternoon, Penn sprint football fans got their first glimpse of the 2013 Quakers’ explosive offense.

And that explosive offense coupled with a hard-nosed defensive front was enough to notch Penn a 26-12 victory in the annual alumni game.

The alumni game is played in two 45-minute halves, each of which opened with a couple of three-and-outs by both squads. Eventually, class of ’13 alum Whit Shaw reminded fans of his talents by making a 19-yard grab over the middle. The drive was capitalized by a 12 yard rush by class of ’11 alum Mike Bagnoli. The alumni missed the extra point, leaving the game at 6-0.

Then Penn’s offense kicked into high gear. Freshman quarterback Mike McCurdy exploded for a 25-yard run up the middle after bobbling the snap, followed by a 22-yard catch by senior Michael Bass. Penn punctuated its drive with a nine-yard sweep to the outside for a touchdown by junior running back Mike Beamish.

Immediately following the kickoff, Shaw took a beautiful pass down the seam for 70 yards, putting the score at 12-7 after a failed two-point conversion by the alumni.

The Red and Blue defense would not allow the alumni to score again, and Penn added an eight-yard Longtin touchdown from McCurdy to close out the first half.

The game says a lot about this year’s squad. Last season, the alumni easily dispatched the Quakers, 20-0. But Saturday, the rumored potency of the offense was on full display.

Last week, junior wide receiver Nick Longtin commented that the offense hasn’t “missed a beat” in the absence of Whit Shaw. Though this was merely the alumni game, the Quakers got to show their new-look offense focused around their big-play versatility and ability to run the ball.

On the flipside, freshman defensive back Robert Diorio was a tour de force all afternoon, adding a sack and a rushing touchdown in the latter stages of the game.

Penn’s next matchup is slated for Friday at 7 p.m., at Army.