img_2783

The first of the alleged armed robberies was that of a female Penn student, which was on the 4000 block of Pine Street and prompted a UPennAlert.

Credit: Photo Illustration by Amanda Suarez

A man arrested for robbing a female Penn student at gunpoint on the 4000 block of Pine Street last Sunday will next appear in court on Sept. 26 for a preliminary hearing.

Marquise Wakefield, 21, was charged on Sept. 9 with one count of attempted rape and three counts of robbery, among other charges, and for three different gunpoint robberies on Sept. 8.

The robberies involved four female victims between 14 and 25 years old, according to a press release from the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office.

The first of Wakefield’s alleged armed robberies was that of a female Penn student, which was on the 4000 block of Pine Street and prompted a UPennAlert at the time.

Related: Penn student robbed in the 4000 block of Pine Street

The second robbery occurred on the 4800 block of Chester Avenue, where Wakefield allegedly held up two women. The third offense also took place on the 4800 block of Chester Avenue, where Wakefield allegedly tried to rob a 14-year-old girl at gunpoint.

These are not the first offenses with which Wakefield has been charged. According to court records, Wakefield received two years probation in 2011 after pleading guilty to a charge of simple assault in Bucks County.

At his preliminary arraignment on Sept. 9 for the robberies for which he is charged, Wakefield’s bail was set at $3 million.

His next court appearance will be at a preliminary hearing on Sept. 26 for the offenses he allegedly committed against the adult victims. The following day, he will attend a preliminary hearing for his alleged offense against the 14-year-old girl.

Also in court in the coming days are the two people charged with a string of four armed robberies that took place in West Philadelphia in May. Both Shalina Watts, 25, and Sean King, 25, will attend court for a pretrial conference on Thursday.

Correction: This article has been updated to reflect that the second robbery with which Wakefield is charged occurred on the 4800 block of Chester Avenue, not at 39th Street and Chester Avenue.