08282013_madeinamerica_photos0068
Made in America Credit: Amanda Suarez , Amanda Suarez

One of Penn’s newest fraternities is looking to double its membership.

Newly-recolonized fraternity Alpha Sigma Phi, reintroduced to Penn after 35 years, will begin recruiting upperclassmen and transfer students beginning as early as next week. Its next “benchmark,” said College senior and Interim President Nikolai Zapertov, is to reach about 48 members.

The fraternity will also participate in spring rush, which will be open to freshmen.

Alpha Sigma Phi still has other benchmarks to complete, including educating members on the history of the fraternity, ensuring that all brothers maintain a GPA of 2.5 or above and establishing a functioning constitution. The colony expects to achieve full fraternity status by the end of spring semester, Zapertov said.

Zapertov described plans to incorporate parts of the old constitution in order to preserve the history of Alpha Sigma Phi’s Omicron chapter that was established at Penn in 1914, while charting it’s new direction.

Related: Alpha Sigma Phi returns to Penn

Wharton sophomore and Vice President Eli Bernstein is excited by the opportunity to shape the organization’s future.

“I have the opportunity to join an organization full of tradition and history and be a part of crafting it into something great,” he said. “A lot of fraternities on campus already have an identity. When someone says ‘Alpha Sigma Phi, what are they?’ We can say, ‘Oh they’re new.’”

The colony is also implementing a scholarship with the help of the national organization. According to College sophomore and Scholarship Director Imran Cronk, “the ‘To Better the Man’ scholarship will help make Alpha Sigma Phi a part of the community by supporting Penn students.”

The scholarship application, which will be open to all Penn students, is still currently being developed as they finalize their recolonization efforts.

Related: Alpha Sigma Phi begins colonization process

“We are a values based organization and aim to raise gentlemen,” Zapertov said. “We’re offering an alternate experience to fraternity life — no hazing and one that isn’t solely based on drinking culture.”

The newly recolonized fraternity held a Made in Philadelphia concert last night in the Rotunda to celebrate both the start of a new academic year and their return to Penn.