markallencropped_300x411_0

On June 17, Mark G. Allen was named the inaugural scientific director of the Krishna P. Singh Center for Nanotechnology.

Allen is currently a faculty member of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology, with a joint appointment at the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. He is also a Penn alumnus who received a BA in chemistry and a BSE in chemical and electrical engineering. In addition, Allen holds about 40 patents and co-founder of several companies, including CardioMEMS and AxionBiosystems.

Penn President Amy Gutmann, in Monday’s press release, said “Mark Allen’s outstanding scholarship, strong industry relationships and proven leadership abilities are among the many qualities that make him the perfect fit as the Singh Center’s inaugural Scientific Director.”

In this new role at Penn, Allen has been appointed to the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, in the department. At the Singh Center, he will be responsible for the operation of the facilities and oversee Penn’s nanotechnology research.

The Center was made possible by $20 million donation by Krishna Singh, a Penn alumnus who now serves as an adjunct professor of mechanical engineering and the SEAS board of overseers.

Construction began in February 2011, and the Center’s design has emphasized sustainability, a modern aesthetic and the specific demands of nanotechnology equipment. The grand opening is scheduled for Nov. 7 of this year.