img_0630

Don Memo Mexican Restaurant, a Penn favorite for the past five years, will be closing on June 8.

Credit: Jenny Lu

Don Memo Mexican Restaurant is closing its doors tomorrow. A favorite of Penn students for the past five years, the restaurant has decided to close at its location in Upper Darby due to issues with the lease.

“The main reason is that the lease expired,” owner Leo Saavedra said. “We tried to work on a new lease but we couldn’t get a good deal on the rent.”

Rising College junior Samantha Freedman is surprised about the upcoming closing.

“Judging by the number of times my friends and I ate at Don Memo, I’m shocked Penn didn’t singlehandedly keep it in business,” she said.

In the meantime, Don Memo will relocate its food truck — currently on 38th Street between Walnut and Sansom streets — to 38th Street between Spruce and Locust streets.

While there are no set plans to reopen the restaurant at another location, Saavedra said that he will be looking at locations closer to Penn’s campus.

“We really appreciate all of the support,” he said.

“It’s sad to see such an iconic part of our Penn experience go away,” rising Wharton and Engineering junior Jeff Chudakoff said. “Don Memo will be missed dearly.”