Lecturer arrested, charged for open lewdness

Adam Bund was released on his own recognizance pending his next court appearance

bund_mugshot

A lecturer for the Department of Anthropology and the Lauder Institute was arrested and charged Thursday with three counts related to incidents that occurred in Houston Hall.

Adam Bund was charged with one count of open lewdness and one count of harassment, according to his court docket. The Philadelphia Police Department also noted in a statement that Bund was charged with indecent exposure.

Open lewdness is a third degree misdemeanor in Pennsylvania defined as when a person “does any lewd act which he knows is likely to be observed by others who would be affronted or alarmed.” Harassment is also a third degree misdemeanor if it includes “lewd, lascivious, threatening or obscene words.”

Both charges are punishable with a fine of up to $5,000 and imprisonment of not more than 90 days.

Indecent exposure is a second degree misdemeanor offense that occurs when a person exposes his or her genitals in any public place or in any place where others are present. Being found guilty of this offense can come with a maximum imprisonment of up to two years.

According to PPD, a 21-year-old female reported that in February Bund was looking in her direction while “inappropriately touching himself.” It is unclear whether the female was affiliated with the University.

PPD also said that a similar incident was reported to have occurred in late April. According to Bund’s court docket, the date of the second offense was April 29.

The Division of Public Safety deferred comment for this story to University Communications and PPD. Vice President for Communications Stephen MacCarthy deferred comment to PPD.

Earlier this week, MacCarthy told The Daily Pennsylvanian that the lecturer had been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation. As of press time, Bund’s page on the Department of Anthropology website is no longer accessible.

On Friday, Bund’s bail was set at $0.00 and he was released on his own recognizance — meaning that he does not have to post bail under the condition that he returns to court when he is required to do so.

According to his Philadelphia court docket, Bund’s next hearing will be on June 24.

Check back for updates.

Discussion