Red and Blue head back to Bethlehem

TRACK | Penn travels to Lehigh for second time this season with momentum on its side

04082012trackmeet0796

In her last meet in Bethlehem Gabrielle Piper (left) won the hurdles in a time of 8.84 and was the runner-up in the 60 meters at 7.77.

Photo by Maegan Cadet

Penn’s track teams are just getting their feet wet.

With the teams heading to Lehigh Saturday for the second time in six weeks, they hope to build on what has been a solid season thus far.

Last weekend at the Armory in New York, the men’s team raced to a second-place finish behind strong performances by the 4×400-meter relay team and sophomore Tom Timmins, who won the 500 meters for the second straight meet.

He and fellow classmates hope to use the momentum from last weekend to keep progressing as the season goes on.

“I’m excited for the meet this weekend,” sophomore jumper Jordan Jett said. “It will be a chance for us to test ourselves against some good competition. We’ve been training hard all fall and are looking forward to good performances at the meet.”

The women’s team also hopes to improve on a second-place finish last weekend.

Behind the record-setting performance of freshman Theresa Picciallo, and first-place victories by fellow freshman Elyssa Gensib and the 4×800-meter relay team, the Quakers finished second to Connecticut.

Junior Gabrielle Piper, owner of a host of Penn records herself, commented on the superb efforts of her teammates this early in the season.

“We’re excited because we’re in the full swing of the season and a lot of athletes like Nony Onyeador, Tom Timmons, Theresa Picciallo and Elyssa Gensib are doing really well for it to be so early,” Piper said.

While in Bethlehem, Pa., the teams are simply hoping to continue improving, collect a few wins and perhaps set a few personal and school records. The stakes will be set a little higher as they return to the Armony for College Night II next weekend.

Discussion