Thomas Murphy, the chief information officer at DaVita HealthCare Partners, will serve as Penn’s next vice president for information technology and CIO, the University announced Wednesday.

Murphy, who will replace Robin Beck, is set to begin his appointment on Feb. 25.

Murphy has held a variety of positions since graduating from the University of Richmond in 1984. He has served as senior vice president and CIO at AmerisourceBergen — a pharmaceutical and health care service — and as CIO of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.

“Our success depends on a strong systems infrastructure, innovative practices, and outstanding leadership,” Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli said in a statement. “With Tom Murphy, Penn is gaining a professional of vast talent in all of these disciplines.”

Among other projects, Murphy will likely spend time working on Penn’s continued technological expansion at the South Bank — a new, University-owned property located at 34th Street and Grays Ferry Avenue.

“He will be a wonderful partner in advancing Penn’s deep-rooted spirit of technological innovation and entrepreneurial thinking,” Provost Vincent Price said of Murphy.

Beck, who has been Penn’s vice president for information systems and computing since 2001, will remain at the University until the end of February to help with the transition.