BRIEF | Gymnastics sees dual meet success against Yale

12072012gymnasticsintrasquadmeetabby203

Penn senior Dana Bonincontri finished first on the vault, bars and beam to take first place at this weekend’s dual meet against Yale, marking her second consecutive all-around victory of the season.

Photo by Abby Graham and Abby Graham

Penn gymnastics had a strong showing in its dual meet against Yale on Sunday.

The Red and Blue beat their team score from last weekend and achieved a new season high of 191.525. With only one fall on the balance beam, the women are becoming stronger and more consistent.

It was the seniors that stood out as the Quakers took on the Bulldogs, but the real achievement against the Elis was the success of the freshmen.

Freshman Carissa Lim led the team on the vault and floor, scoring a 9.475 and 9.450 respectively to kickstart the success to come on these events for the Quakers.

Pennsylvania native and freshman Elyse Shenberger also performed well. Out of the three events she competed in, she scored two career-highs on the vault and floor with a 9.600 and a 9.525 respectively and placed third on the beam with a 9.675.

The upperclassmen also pulled their weight as the more experienced collegiate competitors. Two seniors, in particular, had a very strong day: Dana Bonincontri and team captain Kirsten Strausbaugh.

Bonincontri took the all-around with a 38.850 and placed first on the beam, uneven bars and vault. Strausbaugh came in a close second with a 38.200, including a win on the uneven bars and floor.

The team seems set on the track for continuous improvement and looks to showcase it in Muncie, Ind., this Friday.

BRIEF | Penn gymnastics finishes third at Rutgers

Gymnasts set to invade New Jersey

Penn’s gymnasts inconsistent in season debut

Gymnastics trying to make history

Discussion