As a Penn graduate and a member of the Unification Church, I was a bit befuddled when I read your article detailing the supposed dangers of my religion. I found it telling that there wasn’t a single example listed of our treachery in action at Penn.

I’m pretty sure that if your reporter had looked seriously, he would have found Penn’s Unificationists (past and present) to be a group of hard-working, sincere and conscientious individuals.

As a person who wasn’t satisfied with the answers given by traditional religions, I still hungered for spirituality and in Unificationism found my spiritual home.

I and my fellow Unificationist students were better members of the Penn community for it; I myself graduated with the highest GPA of the 2004 Wharton undergraduate class, something I know I wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise.

Your article had done a disservice to me and others by recycling slander. It dehumanizes us and gives encouragement to those who would persecute or discriminate against religious minorities on campus. The school I went to is better than that, and I’d hope that this paper would be too.

Gelo Fleisher is a 2004 Wharton graduate. His email address is gfleisher@gmail.com.