Two Penn graduates will soon have the opportunity to continue their professional careers miles away from home.

Aimee Bailey and Abigail Seldin — 2006 Engineering graduate and 2009 College graduate, respectively — have been named Luce Scholars, the Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships announced Friday.

Created in 1974, the Luce Scholars Program provides stipends and internship placements for 15 to 18 young Americans to live and work in Asia each year. Through their work, the program hopes students will develop an enhanced understanding and appreciation of Asia.

The program accepts applications from college seniors, graduate students and young professionals.

While there were 18 fellowships awarded this year, Penn was the only school in the nation that produced two award recipients.

Harvard, Princeton and Yale universities were the only other Ivy League institutions to see winners.

According to a CURF statement, Bailey hopes to use the program’s resources to apply her analytical skill set and energy expertise to the issue of sustainable urban development.

She hopes to spend a year working in a region that is experiencing rapid development and urbanization.

Already a Rhodes Scholar, Seldin hopes to use her Luce resources to pursue job placement in one of Asia’s cultural heritage and tourism industries.

Seldin recently completed fieldwork with a new religious movement in the American Southwest.

Bailey and Seldin’s selection concludes a rigorous interview process that began in November 2011 with the nomination of 143 candidates by 62 colleges and universities.