dsc_6343

Philadelphia Police apprehend a suspect, who was allegedly involved in an armed robbery at the McDonald’s at 2815 Grays Ferry Avenue, at 38th and Hamilton Walk.

Credit: Justin Cohen

Philadelphia Police arrested three suspects near the Quad at around 11:30 p.m. Sunday night.

The three suspects allegedly possessed a shotgun and committed armed robbery at McDonald’s at 2815 Grays Ferry Avenue before escaping in a car.

The pursuit reached campus at around 11 p.m., when the suspects’ car stopped outside of Penn’s School of Veterinary Medicine due to a car accident, according to a Philadelphia Police officer.

The three suspects then fled from the car, prompting the police to follow them on foot.

One suspect was arrested outside of Leidy Labs — at 3740 Hamilton Walk — and the other two were arrested outside the Veterinary School shortly after.

College freshman Michael Shostek, who lives in the Quad, saw the action outside of his window. “I heard sirens and a cop yell, ‘I’ve got him!’ When I looked out my window, the cop was in the middle of the street, dodging traffic while the other guy was entering Hamilton Walk.”

An ambulance and fire truck also arrived at 38th Street and Hamilton Walk due to a miscommunication about a minor injury sustained by an officer at the scene, according to Philadelphia Police.

“I heard screaming, so I opened my blinds and saw, just in time, the police officer slip and fall on the ice about 100 feet from the gate,” College freshman Jake Albano said.

Penn Police and Allied Barton security officers were also at the scene. A UPennAlert was not issued.

“I was disappointed that there wasn’t a [UPennAlert] since it was clear that there was a definite immediate danger,” Albano said.