Students get manicures for breast cancer research

Proceeds from event will go to Penn Abramson Cancer Center and Sharsheret

· February 29, 2012, 11:08 pm   ·  Updated March 1, 2012, 1:13 am

Zoe Gan | DP

ManiCURE Salon with a Cause

Manicures are one of the last things students think about during the busy midterm season. But on Feb. 29, over 200 Penn students took a break from their schedules to pamper themselves for a good cause.

The Orthodox Community at Penn hosted “ManiCURE: Salon with a Cause” in Houston Hall’s Hall of Flags to raise money for breast cancer research and promote awareness about the disease. The event started at Penn five years ago after an OCP student’s mother passed away from breast cancer.

“Breast cancer has affected many people I’ve known personally,” said Engineering freshman Natalie Eisner, who attended the event yesterday morning. “What’s a better way to raise money for breast cancer than by getting your nails done?”

The proceeds from this year’s event will benefit the Penn Abramson Cancer Center as well as Sharsheret, a national Jewish organization that provides support to Jewish families facing breast cancer.

This is the first year that the money raised from the event will be going towards a Penn research center.

“I think it is a very nice touch,” said College senior Alexis Mayer. “We are doing something this year that gives back to our own community.”

College freshman Shira Papir said, “$15 for a manicure is a small price to pay in the name of breast cancer research.”

The event was co-sponsored by the Orthodox Community at Penn Chessed Committee, the Trustees’ Council of Penn Women, PRISM Faith Fund, Bon Appétit, O.P.I., Kiss My Face, Tzedek of Hillel and Alpha Kappa Delta Phi.

Manicurists from local Philadelphia salons as well as students from the Jean Madeline Institute, a local cosmetology school on 40th and Chestnut streets, volunteered their time for the cause.

“We try to do as many charity events as we can,” said Whitney Foote, an instructor at the Jean Madeline Institute, who brought a group of her students to the event.

A speaker from the Abramson Cancer Center came to discuss the research going on at the center and organizers distributed pamphlets about breast cancer to students who participated in the event.

“Our goal was for people to have an enjoyable experience but to also have people learn about and feel connected to the cause,” said College sophomore Sophie Gindea, one of the organizers of the event.