Crave, a bar and lounge located in the back of The Rave movie theater, opened its doors Wednesday afternoon.

However, most students were unaware of this new addition to University City.

Business was relatively slow on its opening day. According to General Manager James Wroblewski, this is due to the bar and lounge’s “soft opening.”

He explained that a soft opening is generally used by restaurants that still need to finish up staff training, ease the transition and “work out any kinks.”

“It’s still a work in progress,” Wroblewski said. “People are still getting used to us being here.”

Wroblewski believes business will “absolutely” pick up during the weekend.

He said the live 3D showing of the Ultimate Fighting Championship this Saturday will attract customers to Crave. “We expect a crowd for that.”

Although Crave has been marketed on Facebook, Twitter and through email newsletters and print advertisement, many students have not heard about Crave.

“I had no idea,” College sophomore Natalie Gould said.

Students also have mixed opinions on whether a bar and lounge will do well right next to a movie theater.

“I think it’s a great idea,” College junior Nick Jasper said. “A lounge is lacking in University City.”

Penn Medical School student Brittany Levengood agreed. “I think it will attract people.”

Others doubt Crave will be successful. “I don’t think of [Rave] as a bar and lounge,” Gould said.

Some students agree that a soft opening is a good marketing strategy.

Jasper believes word of mouth is important for reaching student customers and sees no issues with the restaurant’s decision to ease into the opening. “It’s a good approach,” he said.

College sophomore Brigid Byrnes also sees the soft opening as a good decision. “I think it’s a smart move on their part,” she said. “It’ll take [Crave] a bit to come to its own.”