Due to heightened efforts by Penn Police during the holiday season, November saw a 37-percent decrease in crime from this time last year, according to Vice President for the Division of Public Safety Maureen Rush.

Crimes against property fell about 38 percent, and crimes against person have decreased 31 percent.

However, despite these decreases, four robberies occurred in November in the Penn Patrol Zone, about 33-percent greater than last year. Three of the robberies occurred at retail establishments on or near campus — the Fresh Grocer, Starbucks at 1920 Commons and New Style Pizzeria located at 41st and Chestnut streets. Suspects have been apprehended in three of the four incidents, but there is currently no suspect in the New Style Pizzeria robbery, Rush said.

“Holidays absolutely bring out people because they don’t have money to buy presents so they have to rob people,” Rush said, adding that DPS is taking extra precaution before and during winter break.

However, overall robberies this year to date have not increased compared to last year to date.

Along with aggravated assault and forcible sexual offense, theft is “way down,” Rush said.

Theft from buildings decreased 57 percent from last year, as Penn Police arrested a suspect who was identified as a repeat offender involved in at least six incidents around campus.

Furthermore, while bike theft year to date is 56-percent higher than last year to date, it decreased 30 percent this month. In the month of November, DPS arrested five suspects for bike theft, and three arrest warrants are currently pending.