11202011_quadfurniturestore037
Furniture store and quad Credit: Justin Cohen , Justin Cohen

While some low-maintenance students can stick an air mattress in the corner and call it a bedroom, others require a bit more to call a house a home.

Fortunately, a middle ground exists between ordering expensive chairs from Pottery Barn and picking up a couch from the side of the road.

Situated between Cosi and Urban Outfitters on 36th Street, Furniture Lifestyle is Penn’s version of J.K Rowling’s Room of Requirement. Along with furniture, Lifestyle sells lamps, kitchen appliances and school supplies. Its owner, Henry Wong, says his furniture has better quality than that of Target and IKEA for a similar price. “You can’t beat the convenience,” he said.

Lifestyle hand delivers furniture for a price ranging from $10 to $50. It also offers a measuring service to ensure a new piece of furniture is able to fit through the front door. Lifestyle also offers a year-long warranty, whereas IKEA and Target only promise 90-day warranties, Wong said.

Nearby stores also offer affordable options. IKEA and Target, which are both a short drive from campus, sell dissembled items such as desks, couches, bookshelves and chairs that are easy to transport. The furniture comes with all the necessities needed to “build-your-own,” including screws and instruction manuals. It’s also possible to browse Target’s website for furniture, as it provides free shipping for purchases over $50.

Social media sites such as Marketplace on Facebook have made it easier to buy furniture from friends and acquaintances. Unlike Ebay and Craiglist, Marketplace puts people in contact through Facebook, allowing potential buyers to view the sellers’ profile pages and assess their legitimacy.

It is also common to buy used furniture from previous leaseholders at a discounted price. However, be sure to double-check these transactions with the landlord, as many leasing agencies have different rules regarding furniture. If tenants plan to pass down their furniture, they are also responsible for cleaning the apartment. For instance, Campus Apartments will only provide a cleaning service if the space is completely clear of all furniture and belongings.