dsc06610

Wharton senior Triston Francis was crowned Mr. Quaker on Friday night. The competition featured pageant-style modeling and interviewing. (Courtesy of Jake Albano)

Designer gowns may be the norm in the Miss America Pageant, but for the Mr. Quaker competition, pajamas will suffice.

Twelve of Penn’s most eligible bachelors showed off their modeling skills on Friday night, while about 150 spectators entered a raffle to win dates with the contestants of their choice.

The contestants modeled in casual clothing, swimwear and tuxedos, followed by a question-and-answer “pillow talk” session in their pajamas. Questions ranged from the silly to the sentimental in an attempt to showcase the contestants’ variety of strengths. Upon being asked who he would most like to see perform at the next Super Bowl half-time show, contestant and College freshman Charles Davis responded, “I think Janet Jackson did a pretty good job last time … or Rebecca Black.” Other notable Q&A occurrences included a rap about Penn President Amy Gutmann and an impersonation of President Barack Obama.

The 12 lucky winners were each presented with a pink rose and the promise of a fun evening. All of the dates were sponsored by local restaurants, including Nara and Greek Lady.

In the end, Wharton senior Triston Francis was crowned “Mr. Quaker,” having received the most raffle entries. Francis compared his victory with the best day of his life — the day he received his acceptance letter from Penn. Francis’ date will be sponsored by City Tap House.

The event was organized for a Wharton Management project, and the proceeds went to the Face to Face organization.

Face to Face is a human services organization that includes a soup kitchen, health and legal centers, social services and children’s programming. Wharton freshman Larry Fan, one of the Management team members, said he hopes this event will “serve as a template for more successful Face to Face events in the future.”