11192011_palantethanksgiving160
The annual Thanksgiving dinner hosted by The Hermanos of the Delta Chapter of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity featuring a performance by Onda Latina and Alex Viera Credit: Maegan Cadet , Maegan Cadet

Many Penn students are leaving campus to head home for Thanksgiving, but to some, returning to campus is coming home.

The Annual Pa’lante Thanksgiving Dinner, hosted yesterday in Bodek Lounge by the Delta chapter of La Unidad Latina — also known as Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity — celebrated its 22-year tradition.

This annual tradition was started in 1988 when brothers of the Delta chapter found that many students could not afford to return home for Thanksgiving. The funds that come from the suggested donation of $10 now go to La Unidad Latina foundation.

The dinner featured traditional Thanksgiving fare such as turkey and mashed potatoes with a Latin twist of cheese empanadas and sweet plantains, served to about 150 attendees by the brothers of the fraternity.

“One of the traditions in the beginning was that the brothers served food for everybody and it died down, but we’re bringing that back this year,” External Vice President of La Unidad Fraternity and Wharton senior Pedro Reyes said.

As the guests were dining, Onda Latina took to the dance floor with vocal encouragement from audience members, followed by Latin Nation, a competitive Latin dance troupe. Stand-up comedian Alex Ortiz recounted anecdotes of his experience growing up as half-Puerto-Rican and half-African-American in Chicago. The event ended with the presentation of awards to organizations and individuals on campus who have helped the La Unidad Latina during the year.

Of those in attendance, a large number were alumni who came back to support the event. “This is actually one of the biggest traditions and it brings people from all walks of life, and it actually brings many of our alumni back to campus,” Reyes said, pointing out a 1992 Penn graduate.

2001 Wharton graduate Ramon Marmolejos said he came because “I wanted to reconnect with my chapter and support the event.”

He added, “I organized the same event when I was an undergrad. It’s a great opportunity to bring the Latin community together. It’s a great opportunity to give thanks to everyone who supported us, the administration.”

Current undergraduates took the chance to interact with the Latino community that was present. “They put a lot of thought into it, the food and the performances,” College sophomore and MEChA member Erica Romero said. “[The event] brought a sense of unity because it brought together all the groups on campus.”

Many appreciated the warm and inviting atmosphere of the event. “They really tried to make it authentic with the food and the music and made it as close to home as possible, and they did a great job of that.” College freshman Anthony Cruz said.

Reyes said, “It’s a place where faculty, staff, and students can come together in a safe place and enjoy a good meal.”

Gallery: Pa’lante Thanksgiving 2011

This story has been updated to reflect that the tradition began in 1988, not 1989.