sabrinas_teaser

(Courtesy of Ali Kokot)

Students seeking a hangover cure on Sunday mornings will be delighted to know that they will no longer have to cab all the way downtown for a bite of Sabrina’s heaping Huevos Rancheros.

Known for “brunch all day” at its Italian Market and Fairmount locations, Sabrina’s Café has finally landed in West Philadelphia. Unlike the restaurant’s other locations, however, this one is not BYOB.

Some students, like College sophomore Julie Ulrich,find the idea of “breakfast for dinner” appealing. Ulrich, for example, says she is always won over by the restaurant’s infamously large stuffed challah French toast.

Co-owner Raquel Deabreu hopes that people will come explore the new Sabrina’s because they deliver “a good product” and because “more and more people are eating breakfast for dinner.” She added that in college, breakfast was her favorite meal, “on a rainy day or on a sunny day.”

Deabreu explained that Sabrina’s had been looking to “move west for a long time,” and that Drexel University offered them a home on the first floor of Ross Commons, a Drexel University lounge space on 34th Street and Powelton Avenue.

The new Sabrina’s is set in a Victorian, stone mansion wrapped by a full porch on the “lively” corner of Drexel’s “frat row.” Though stationed in a strategic location to satiate the appetite of Drexel fraternity brothers, Sabrina’s expects to appeal to a broader audience, including families and local employees on lunch breaks.

The main dining room provides ample space for long farmhouse-style tables for livelier parties while scalloped mirrors of various geometries line the sunny walls. Tables for two populate the wrap-around porch where customers can lunch beneath overhanging plants as though they were sitting in an air-conditioned greenhouse.

Though this branch will feature the same menu as its sister locations, the Deabreu’s have eliminated dinner specials, and incorporated top favorites in an effort to “keep cost down for the customer.”

College sophomore Emily Wasserman likes that Sabrina’s offers a different kind of product compared to the “generic” Italian BYO’s prevalent in Philadelphia. Though she was excited about the new location, she explained that she would be “more inclined” to go to brunch closer to campus.

Deabreu demystified the restaurant’s name explaining that Sabrina is her 11-year-old daughter. Her 7-year-old son Spencer is soon to be featured in the title of the eatery Spencer ?TA Burger, set to open in October on the same premises as Sabrina’s. The name boasts a humorous spin on the greek letters adorning the houses of frat row, Deabreu said.

Described as a “burger board,” Spencer ?TA Burger will feature “wow-factor burgers” with toppings like fried eggs and guacamole until 1 a.m.

Nursing sophomore Nora Casper, a hostess at Sabrina’s, hoped that all of her peers would come down to Sabrina’s to experience the “great atmosphere and the nice location.”

Excited about her new venture, Deabreu exclaimed that at the new location, “Sabrina’s fans will find us.”

This article was updated from its original version to clarify that the new Sabrina’s location is not BYOB.