Even before officially moving on to campus, one future Quaker rower has made quite a splash.

Incoming freshman Harry Holroyd is a part of the U.S. Junior Rowing Team and is rowing in the men’s eight (8+) in the 2011 World Junior Rowing Championships in Eton Dorney, Great Britain.

“We are very pleased knowing that Harry is demonstrating this type of potential,” heavyweight rowing coach Greg Myhr said. “The fact that Harry has made the junior national team means he stacks up very well against other high school oarsmen.”

This will be the Maryland native’s first Junior World Championships, and it may be quite an experience.

Only one of the nine members on last year’s gold medal team has returned, leading to an interesting storyline in which a new group of U.S. junior rowers are hoping to defend the title.

While it won’t be an easy task, Myhr believes that his recruit has much to offer the team as it seeks to repeat as champions.

“He’s had to contend all summer with a team full of talented athletes, and he’s managed to prevail,” Myhr said. “I truly hope the team has success in Eton, as this will clearly magnify his confidence as an athlete and competitor.”

Back at Penn, Holroyd will join eleven other heavyweight rowing recruits in the class of 2015. The eager freshmen will hope to further improve a program that won two Cup races in the 2011 season and finished 14th overall at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) National Championships.

While each rower will undoubtedly bring a high level of experience and skill to the team, Holroyd has the added benefit of having spent part of the summer rowing with some of the best in the nation.

“I have no doubt that Harry’s experience this summer will go a long way towards preparing him for his upcoming collegiate career,” Myhr said. “The fact that Harry has made the junior national team means he stacks up very well against other high school oarsmen, and it gives him a nice ‘head start’ on what he will have to do here at Penn to be successful at this level.”

Only time will tell as to how Holroyd will impact the Quakers, but if his rowing in Great Britain says anything, it may mean smooth sailing for the heavyweight rowing team.