Penn’s administrators are responsible for the thousands of students and millions of dollars that pass through the University every year, and their decisions affect every member of the Penn community. Here’s a who’s-who guide to Penn’s key administrators:

Amy Gutmann became Penn’s eighth president seven years ago after serving as the provost at Princeton University for several years. One of her main areas of focus is the Penn Compact, a progressive vision of the University’s future that she launched at her inauguration. The Compact aims to enhance Penn’s position — locally and globally — across a spectrum of social and academic issues. This includes the Making History Campaign, a fundraising campaign with the goal of raising $3.5 billion for the University.

Vincent Price officially took on the post of provost two years ago after serving as a Professor of Communication and Political Science in the Annenberg School for Communication. As provost, he leads all of Penn’s teaching, research and scholarship initiatives.
English professor Rebecca Bushnell has served as dean of the School of Arts and Sciences since 2005. She handles all matters of faculty, planning and administration at both the graduate and undergraduate level for students.

Mathematics professor Dennis DeTurck took the reins of the College of Arts and Sciences in 2005. As dean of the College, DeTurck, who still teaches undergraduate courses, is responsible for issues concerning undergraduate curricula and students in every academic department in the College.

Thomas Robertson has served as the dean of the Wharton School since 2007. Among his goals is increasing the school’s international presence.

As the leader of one of Penn’s smallest schools, School of Engineering and Applied Science Dean Eduardo Glandt has made a large mark over the past 12 years. Some of his biggest accomplishments include raising millions of dollars for SEAS and broadening Penn Engineering’s position globally.

An Egyptian native, Nursing Dean Afaf Meleis has mentored hundreds of practicing clinicians in countries like Thailand, Brazil and Jordan.