12102010_bkc_v_villanovarachel013
Penn men's basketball loses to Villanova 65-53 Credit: Rachel Bleustein

One Quaker will be taking his talents down south — across the border.

Conor Turley, a former big man for the Red and Blue who graduated this past spring, has signed with the Pioneros de Quintana Roo, a professional basketball team located in Cancun, Mexico. He is expected to join the team when it opens up for training camp on August 1.

“I look forward to having an opportunity to play the game I love,” Turley said. “It feels great to have something solid set up. I’m very blessed, for sure.”

Turley, who considers his Spanish to be “pretty good,” joins a team that has a short, yet successful history.

The Pioneros — Spanish for “pioneers” — were only founded in 2006 but have already made their mark on the league, making it to the Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional (LNBP) Finals. Though they ultimately lost in six games, Turley is hoping that next year, he’ll be able to help the team add some hardware.

“I’m looking forward to contributing to winning a championship next year. Anything less will be a disappointment.”

Turley becomes the first in his class of recently graduated men’s basketball players to officially sign with a professional team. Former frontcourt teammates Jack Eggleston and Andreas Schreiber have been working out this summer in hopes of catching the eye of some European teams, but both still face a certain degree of uncertainty.

“I can’t say that I know exactly what they’re going through because every league is so different,” Turley said. “I’ve been speaking to my teammates who are looking to sign in the near future and I really wish them the best.”

Fortunately for the Southern California native, the process of signing with a professional team was a relatively simple process.

With the help of family members who currently reside in Mexico, Turley was able to attain a dual-citizenship, a critical step and one he called “a huge advantage.” Additionally, Turley received advice from Jeremis Smith — the older brother of classmate and Quakers women’s basketball player Jerin Smith — who currently plays for the Fuerza Regia, another LNBP team that plays in Monterrey, Mexico.

“The process was pretty simple. It was more an issue of choosing a team that would be a good fit,” Turley said. “Every team I contacted expressed a sincere interest in me.”

Though Turley will soon leave the familiar comforts of the United States and make his way down south, the 6-foot-7 Hispanic Studies major is not too concerned. According to Turley, both of his parents are fluent in Spanish, he has the aforementioned family members in Mexico and he also had the opportunity to work “almost exclusively in the language” on a mission in the predominantly Spanish-speaking south side of Chicago for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

“I have a passion for the culture and history,” Turley said. “I was not able to study abroad in college for obvious reasons, so this should be an awesome experience. I’m really looking forward to getting to know Mexico better.”

Of course, Turley is also ready to continue his playing career.

“How many people can say they are paid to do what they truly love? This is a unique opportunity for me and I could not be more excited.”