04142011_umccelebrationofcultures106
UMC Celebration of Cultures Credit: Muyi Li

On Thursday afternoon, 27 cultural societies took to College Green in a “celebration of cultures” that saw performances from Penn Du Re, Quaker Notes, Excelano Project and other student groups. The United Minorities Council hosted the event to showcase the various cultural groups on campus.

It was a day for food and festivity — and “a nice way to kick off Fling,” College junior Leah Brown said.

For many students, food was the main attraction. “It’s fun to try all of them,” Wharton junior Kesi Irvin said. Wharton sophomore Ankit Shah marveled at the diverse array of foods on display.“They have every type of food here,” he said. For Shah, the event was “an opportunity to learn about different cultures on campus — through food.”

Shah and other students didn’t lack options. The Penn Taiwanese Society offered students shots of bubble tea if they could name one fact about Taiwan. Other booths gave out everything from sushi to hot dogs.

Penn Persian Society President and Wharton sophomore Sima Golnabi manned a booth that served baklava and other Persian desserts. The Hillel booth offered pita bread.

Irvin and Brown, sprawled out on a blanket like many other students eating on the green, also mentioned they were excited to dance at the end of the show. “Coming back from [track] practice, it’s a nice way to shake it off.”

College senior Eric Sales ventured out to the green “mainly for the Asian food.” On his plate was a Filipino dish. “It’s a good day to have the event — and there’s good music too,” he said.

Hordes of students lined up for food behind each organization’s booth. College senior Didi Teng, who attended the event after having class at David Rittenhouse Laboratory, attributed the high turnout to convenience. “A lot of people have classes that end around now … so you can stop by as you’re walking back.”

But while College sophomore Lianna Brenner came out to the green for “free dinner” like many of her classmates, she “really wanted” to see dance groups like Penn Masti perform.