20110319_mlax_princeton0079
Although senior attack Corey Winkoff didn’t score, he assisted on three goals as the Quakers coasted to a 13-5 win over St. Joseph’s yesterday afternoon.

A few miles west of Franklin Field, the Quakers had one final tune-up before the conclusion of their regular season and start of the Ivy League Tournament.

The No. 13 men’s lacrosse team was the huge favorite against winless Saint Joseph’s, and played like it, dismantling the Hawks, 13-5, for its seventh win of the season.

The Red and Blue (7-4, 3-2 Ivy) grabbed control of the game early with four goals in the opening quarter. Unassisted put-ins by junior midfielder Dan Savage — the first of a hat trick — and freshmen defenseman Maxx Meyer highlighted the scoring and propelled the Quakers to a comfortable 4-1 lead after one quarter.

After facing a bevy of ranked teams in recent weeks, the Quakers could’ve been ripe for a letdown, but they were up for the challenge.

“Our mindset never changes, [no matter] what the schedule says,” Meyer said.

The second period started off with more of the same, as senior Will Amling scored to give Penn a four-goal lead. After Kyle Mahoney scored for the Hawks (0-11) to make the score 5-2, Savage netted his second goal of the night, putting the Quakers back up by four.

Saint Joseph’s found a response before the half when Bobby Hurley scored a minute after Savage, making it 6-3. With just nine seconds left in the second, Kyle Williams managed to score another Hawks goal, cutting Penn’s once convincing lead to two.

Quakers coach Mike Murphy wasn’t surprised by the Hawks’ spirited play.

“They’ve gotten more talented since last year. We’ve got respect for them” he explained.

The Hawks went into the locker room smelling an upset, but unfortunately for them, Penn came out smelling blood.

Freshman midfield Zack Losco scored just three minutes after the half, igniting an offensive outburst by Penn in the third quarter.

Sophomores Greg Ives and Ryan Parietti, as well as seniors Rob Fitzpatrick and Al Kohart, all got in on the fun as the Quakers went on a game-deciding 5-0 run in just under four minutes. Savage later completed his hat trick, scoring the sixth goal of the decisive quarter. Both teams traded single goals in the fourth, securing a comfortable 13-5 win for the Red and Blue.

“[We] won more faceoffs in the second half, it gave our offense more possessions and the defense more time to rest”. Murphy explained

All tuned up and ready for the stretch run, Penn faces a quick turnaround before this Saturday’s home game against Dartmouth, its Ivy league finale.