Several Penn students, along with about 400 across the nation, tuned in Thursday night to discuss a perspective on life rare on college campuses: objectivism.

“Ideas Matter: Ayn Rand’s Message to Today’s World,” a talk headed by Ayn Rand Institute President Yaron Brook, addressed 20th century philosopher and Atlas Shrugged author Ayn Rand’s unique philosophy.

The talk took place across the internet, with students tuning in from 25 universities throughout the nation. Webcast from the University of Southern California, the event was sponsored by The Undercurrent, an objectivist national newspaper distributed on college campuses.

“The world right now is being challenged. Today, [America is] rotting from within and fighting wars abroad we don’t even know what for,” Brook began. “Take Libya, for example. We are not killing Qaddafi — we are only leveling the playing field for the rebels. But where does that idea come from? Why? How is this going to contribute to your life?”

The key to objectivism is its focus on self-interest. “When we were little, we were taught that ‘good’ equals being selfless … it is focusing on other people’s needs first.”

The event peaked at about 400 total viewers across the country. Penn’s own live chat session had between four and nine viewers throughout the hour-and-a-half presentation.

An extensive question-and-answer session drew Brook into more elaborate explanations of objectivism. “What is the ideal life?” a student from the University of Wisconsin asked. Brook replied, “achieving and recognizing your achievements is key to a happy life.”

Brook stirred further discussion when he argued that individuals should not donate money to Haiti because “it does not affect you. It is a poor country that we don’t even trade with.”

College freshman Ben Nicholas enjoyed the event. “I’ve been trying to understand Rand’s philosophy but really just needed someone to simply lay it out for me,” he said. “This lecture showed me that her ideas are quite provocative, given they require a fundamental redefining of conventional morality.”

Wharton and College senior Arden Rienas reflected more on how Brook’s words provide a different perspective for contemporary events at large. “I think the financial crisis and the looming budgetary issues have driven people to search out alternate conceptions of organizing the state. Objectivism presents some interesting thoughts on this, but there’s no substitute for actually reading Ayn Rand’s books.”