20110319_mlax_princeton0028
Pete Lodato/DP File Photo

While Penn seniors busy themselves with the On-Campus Recruiting process, Brown senior David Hawley received his first job offer this Jan. 21, without ever applying.

Hawley, who plays midfield for the Bears’ lacrosse team, was tracking the Major League Lacrosse collegiate draft online with some friends when his name popped up 40th overall—a seventh-round pick by the Boston Cannons.

The New Canaan, Conn., native was one of 48 college seniors offered a spot to play professionally beginning this pro season in May.

He joined Princeton attack Jack McBride as one of two players selected from the Ancient Eight — the fewest Ivy League selections since the draft’s inception in 2001.

Though traditionally held after the NCAA lacrosse season, the 2011 draft came before any of this year’s selections had played a game as a senior.

“That helped kids that had big years last year and hurt some of the seniors that kind of came on late and had good years this year,” said Drexel coach Brian Voelker, who led the Quakers from 2003 to 2009.

The timing of the draft puts Hawley and his peers in another unique position of having to choose between professional lacrosse and other job offers in more common professions.

Studying commerce, organization and entrepreneurship, Hawley is looking into finance and real estate opportunities in the Northeast.

In order to retain NCAA eligibility throughout the year, players cannot officially decide whether to play professionally or not for months after the draft.

“Any kind of conversation with the team you were drafted by would deem you ineligible for NCAA [competition],” Hawley said. “You kind of get drafted on that day and wait until the season is over to actually start conversations with a team.”

And while being drafted into the NBA or NFL may mean millions in contracts and endorsements for a college athlete at the top of his game, the transition to the MLL doesn’t carry quite the same fanfare — especially given one’s other options as an Ivy League graduate.

With just a six-team league and a three-month season, most players earn less than $25,000 yearly for their efforts — and just a select few secure endorsements.

“People aren’t building their lives around those jobs, frankly,” said Penn coach Mike Murphy, who ran a pro combine in Philadelphia several years ago while at Haverford College.

“The salaries, they’re certainly not enough to live on,” Murphy added. “If you play in the professional indoor league, [the NLL] and outdoor league you could maybe put together somewhat of a living.”

But the challenges aren’t limited to pay, either. Voelker, who saw two of his players at Penn drafted, can easily relate to the grind of a pro season in tandem with other jobs and a family.

“I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off,” Voelker said of playing with the Long Island Lizards while coaching the Red and Blue in 2003.

“I was already out of town so much running around, chasing kids and recruiting… it was crazy, it was hectic,” he added.

Voelker noted he had great family support, but not all players are as fortunate, and aside from juggling multiple jobs and life at home, potential MLL players need to first possess enough natural skill and athleticism just to compete with the best athletes in the game.

“The bottom line is: it’s production,” Voelker said. “You have to run by people and bury opportunities — I don’t think our game is that complicated.”

Young players must also adjust to a few key rule changes in the professional game, like a shot clock used to quicken game flow.

Another key rule first-year professionals must adjust to is the 16-yard two-point line. But that seems to suit Hawley just fine.

“He can really shoot the ball,” Murphy said. “Hawley is particularly valuable for that league because of the range of his shot.”

And regardless of rule changes or poor pay, Hawley now has the chance to continue competing in the sport he’s played since age six.

“It really is just the love of the game,” Hawley said about his options next year. “It’s hard to ever see it come to an end — I’m open to any opportunity to keep playing.”