This year’s Spring Fling concert was the first to have assigned seating since the Social Planning and Events Committee began hosting it seven years ago.

While the controversial policy was intended to increase the safety of concertgoers, it was ultimately ineffective in achieving its goal.

There were no barriers separating the sections at Franklin Field to enforce the seating policy, which forced students to spend unnecessary time and effort coordinating with friends when buying tickets.

Although Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said the policy kept the crowd more organized, the lack of barriers allowed students to walk between sections throughout the concert and crowd the middle sections, rendering it meaningless. Without stringent enforcement, the policy — and the trouble that students went through before the concert — is a waste of time.

An “after-action meeting” will be held soon to determine the future of the assigned seating policy. If the Division of Public Safety is committed to improving student safety during the Fling concert and plans on continuing the policy next year, it should do a better job of enforcing it.

What did you think of the Fling concert's sectioned seating policy? Send us a letter to the editor to share your thoughts: letters@theDP.com.