Millions of children could be protected from preventable illnesses and infections if only they had just one pair of shoes.

To raise awareness for the children worldwide who must walk miles barefoot everyday, TOMS Campus Clubs — a new organization sponsored by the shoe company — hosted a pledging booth and raffle at Houston Hall Tuesday afternoon. Their table was covered with a collage of pledges signed by members of the Penn community who walked barefoot that day in honor of these children. There was also a raffle for TOMS shoes — a brand that donates one pair of shoes for each pair sold. The point of the event was “to advocate for TOMS,” College junior and event co-coordinator Sarah Rubin said.

Although TOMS pledges “one for one,” it is not very well known. “We want as many people as possible to know about Toms,” event co-coordinator and College junior Laura Johnson said. “It’s a really great business.”

People were also encouraged to walk barefoot. Wharton junior Mckenzie Harper and College sophomore Matt Lorenzo — both also event coordinators — went to class barefoot. They said that not all the reactions were positive. “People were staring at me,” Harper said. Lorenzo agreed, adding that “kids laughed and thought it was stupid.”

“I wish more people would [walk barefoot]. There aren’t enough people doing it,” Harper said.

Fortunately for the group, there are already supporters of TOMS around campus. Engineering masters student Silvia Moreno said she was aware of TOMS and that she knew that it was supported by multiple celebrities. “I think it’s a good initiative,” she said.

College junior Ellie Dugan, who was standing barefoot by the booth, agreed — though she admitted she didn’t own any TOMS shoes.

TOMS Campus Clubs has several events in the works for the future, including a documentary screening in the fall. They also hope to eventually obtain Student Activities Council and Civic House recognition.

“Penn cares,” Johnson said. Indeed, several students proved this by ditching their shoes and experiencing first-hand — if only for a five minutes, an hour or a day — what it was like to go without them.