04092009_kristagolf138
Krista Hutz learns golf from men's golf team...Tiffany Cheung Credit: Krista Hutz

The Penn women’s golf team prepared for its spring season with a blowout win in the OMNI Financial Intercollegiate in Savannah, Ga. last weekend.

Coach Mark Anderson doesn’t see any reason why this success can’t continue throughout the year.

Penn will kick off its season this weekend in Williamsburg, Va., for the C&F; Bank Intercollegiate.

When asked if his defending Ivy League championship team was still the best in the Ancient Eight, Anderson replied with an emphatic, “Absolutely.”

On top of that, the coach thinks that his young team hasn’t even played to its full potential yet.

“We are a very young team,” Anderson said. “But we are extremely talented.”

Leading the charge for the Quakers is sophomore standout Isabel Han.

Han won last weekend’s individual tournament by three shots, breaking the course record in her first round with a 71.

Han outdid herself the next day by breaking her own record, carding a 70 in her final round.

Anderson thinks that the sky is the limit for Han.

“She really worked on her game over the summer,” he said, adding that she has been a lot more consistent this season than last and “has eliminated those bad nine-hole stretches.”

The sophomore is just one part of a very young Penn team. The Red and Blue feature no seniors and their lone junior is Tiffany Cheung, who was a first-team all-Ivy selection last season.

Three sophomores and three freshmen round out the team.

Even with such a young group, Anderson feels that the golfers have the ability to defend their league title.

“I think it is possible. It is definitely within our reach.”

Harvard and Yale will give the Quakers their biggest challenge in the league, according to Anderson.

But first, the team will be tested in three tournaments leading up to the April 22-24 Ivy Championships.