This week, women’s stories will be headline news.

With the theme of “Extra, Extra! Read All About Her: Women in Media and Politics,” this year’s Women’s Week will examine the history of women in media and how that role has progressed up to the present day.

The theme is especially pertinent, given that Donna Brazile — the first black woman to organize a presidential campaign — will make the keynote address today at 6 p.m. in Houston Hall. In addition to discussing her time working on Al Gore’s 2000 presidential run, she will examine women’s ongoing roles in politics and the media.

“We try to base the theme around who the keynote speaker is,” said Shaina Adams-El Guabli, the program and outreach coordinator at the Penn Women’s Center. The other events of the week — such as those that examine different issues for women in the Middle East — contribute different angles to the theme.

While last year’s topic — “What does a feminist look like?” — took a broader look at the role of women in society, “this year, we wanted to go with something a little different and more topical to reflect both the presence of women outside the University, but also to highlight the presence of women on campus,” said College senior Kaneesha Parsard, chairwoman of the Penn Consortium of Undergraduate Women.

In addition to the more focused theme, events throughout the week will be more consolidated, Adams-El Guabli said.

Whereas last year’s Women’s Week featured 18 different programs, this year there are nine events. The decision reflects all of the constituent groups of PCUW working together to “put on more diverse and comprehensive events,” said Nursing and Wharton senior Susanna Shuman, the president of Girl Scouts at Penn.

Despite the smaller scope, “we hope that each of the events are compelling enough to draw different women from all around campus,” Parsard said.

“Because each of the events is so different, everyone should be able to find something to discuss,” Adams-El Guabli added.

The week will also include a new addition this year. A Wellness Day on Friday will feature a cooking demonstration by the executive chef of Kings Court dining hall, a free yoga session and a Zumba dance lesson — in addition to free massages offered all day.

While Wellness Day provides a fun way for women to unwind, the aim of the week is more serious.

“The mission of the week is very much aligned with empowering women,” Shuman said.

“Our hope is that if someone is still looking for their space on campus they’ll be able to come and see all of the different things going on in terms of women’s issues and women’s empowerment,” Adams-El Guabli added.